Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Point Lookout and Jones Beach

This afternoon before sunset I rushed to Point Lookout to get pics of the Harlequin Ducks recently seen there.  Once I got on the beach I spotted a Horned Grebe, Sanderling and then a few Snow Buntings quickly flew by.  As I walked from West to the Inlet, I saw a few Long Tailed Ducks, couple of Black Scoters, more Horned Grebes, a few loons, a decent amount of common eiders and a large seal was poking it's head out of the water.  I almost gave up on the Harlequin Ducks until I got to the Inlet.  Saw a group of ducks and knew instantly they were the Harlequins I was looking for - saw at least 4 females (maybe 5) and 2 drakes.

I went by the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station which only had a few Brant.  A Goshawk or Harrier was swooping over the "pond" in the dunes.  I tried looking for the Glaucous Gull in Field 6 but couldn't locate it - mostly Ringed Billed, a few Herring and Black Backed.

I was happy to find the Harlequin Ducks - great way to end the year!

Harlequin Ducks

Harlequin Ducks

Harlequin Duck female

Harlequin Ducks (2 drakes, 4 females)

Common Eiders

No comments:

Post a Comment