Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Jones Beach, Zachs Bay, Tackapausha

I went by the Coast Guard Station to find something new but just saw Laughing Gulls, Common and Least Terns, 2 Black Skimmers, Comorants and a remaining female Greater Scaup.  Leaving the West End, also saw Robins, Brown Thrashers, a Cedar Waxwing and Horned Lark.  Viewed a Glossy Ibis flying overhead  - seems to be a usual occurence there lately.

I tried my luck by Zachs Bay/ the Amphi-theater and saw a few Glossy Ibis take off from behind the stadium but access is blocked so I couldn't locate the spot where they were.  In the distance on the beach I viewed 2 large birds  - after walking a little closer, I discovered they were the pair of Peregrine Falcons that live in the Jones Beach tower.  They caught a bird (Pigeon?) and after a while took off with it and landed in the nearby parking lot.  One of them had dinner while the other circled ahead and occasionally landed.  After a while that one perched on the tower while the other continued eating.  As I was leaving, one was being chased by a few Red-Winged Blackbirds.

During a quick stop at Tackapausha I saw 3 young Black Crowned Night Herons on a fence by the bridge.

Greater Scaup - female

Peregrine Falcons

Peregrine Falcons

Peregrine Falcon

No comments:

Post a Comment