Saturday, October 18, 2014

Massapequa Preserve, Massapequa

I know it's not rare at all, but I saw a Greater Yellowlegs at Massapequa Preserve this morning - noteworthy because long time residents of the area have said that the preserve used to be a hotspot for them years ago - I don't know what drove them away, but hopefully today's sighting is some hope that they might return.  American Wigeons, Northern Shovelers, Great Blue Herons, and a Wood Duck were at the ponds north of Sunrise Highway.  I'm hoping the Eurasian Wigeons that have frequented the preserve for the last several winters will return - I'll check at least every few weeks.  Songbirds (nothing uncommon) included Downy and Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Carolina Wrens, Catbirds, Robins,Yellow Rumped Warbler, and White Breasted Nuthatches.

Around my house, several Carolina Wrens were singing.

American Wigeon
Wood Duck
Wood Duck
Yellow Rumped Warbler
White Breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment