Sunday, August 2, 2015

Jones Beach West End, Lido Beach Preserve, Nickerson Beach, Massapequa Preserve

Now that the beginning of shorebirding is here I headed over to Jones Beach West End - I had a feeling the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station would be a "beach club" for boaters so I knew I would be searching the vernal ponds, or what's left of them between Field 2 and the Teddy Roosevelt Sanctuary.  We won't get into what I witnessed on the Coast Guard Station, but the ponds were mostly empty except for ~20 Least Sandpipers, 1 Semi-Palmated Sandpiper, Killdeer, Canada Geese, and various songbirds including a Flycatcher of some sort - guessing Phoebe.  Seems definite that the Red Phalarope is officially gone.

I had better luck at Lido Beach Preserve where I was treated to 2 Little Blue Herons, Great and Snowy Egrets, Willetts, a single Least Sandpiper and Glossy Ibis.  Black Skimmers, Oystercatchers, Ospreys, and Barn Swallows flew overhead.

Not much at the Nickerson Beach parking lot pond or Massapequa Preserve except there were hundreds of Red Winged Blackbirds and Grackles at the "Doris Place Pond" at Massapequa Preserve.

Least Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Least Sandpipers
Barn Swallow
Little Blue Heron

Semi-Palmated Sandpiper
undetermined
Little Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron, Great Egret
Little Blue Heron
Glossy Ibis


No comments:

Post a Comment