Sunday, March 31, 2019

Manorville: Red Crossbills!

There were reports of Red Crossbills at the Paumanok Trail in Manorville - I had missed/ dipped on the Red Crossbills that had been at Jones Beach earlier in the winter so when I saw these were continuing, I made sure to try for them - I saw them - at least a handful on my first try.  Also seen were Pine Siskins and Bluebirds.  Since then, there has been at least one pair that hopefully will stick around and have babies, however, I don't plan on going back because of birders getting ticks on them.

Red Crossbill pair



2 comments:

  1. Hey, love the blog! I'm a newbie birder and I've seen a similar looking bird over the weekend(a pair in Rocky Point) but I'm having difficulty with the ID. Rusty red colored head and body with dark wings. I couldn't see it's bill as it was flittering fast through brush. I haven't seen anything similar in Merlin Bird ID app and this picture is the first time I've seen something similar to what I saw. I know these birds are rare so I'm hesitant to say I saw them but maybe you know a similar looking bird that it could have been? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, thank you for the compliment. The only other birds that I can think of might be House Finch or Purple Finch since they're similar and size and color. Good luck birding this Spring!

      Delete