Sunday, February 14, 2021

Baldwin Spotted Towhee, Propsect Park Mew/ Common Gull

 I had the chance to go out birding for a little while so took advantage of it.  I picked Snouty up early in the morning and we went for the continuing yet secretive (not a marsh bird) Spotted Towhee at Baldwin Park.  I had tried before but figured it would be nice to see since it had been sighted recently (thanks for the post Rob P)  We creeped up the path threw the snow and Snouty spotted it.  I couldn't see it well from where I was so I moved up but it caused the towhee to fly from the path into the brush (oh shit)  We spent some time waiting for it but didn't come up.  We moved up the path and we found it again , this time I got good looks and some half decent photos.  Although not a lifer for me, this was my first female Spotted Towhee and it's also always nice to add another NY bird to the list.  While we were waiting we saw 2 Ravens call and fly over.  We also met John G which is always pleasant.

We went to Lido Marina, Nickerson and Malibu to try for some recently sighted Pipits and Lapland Longspurs but all we found were a mixed flock of Horned Larks and Snow Buntings.  We were going to go to Tobay/ Teddy Roosevelt to try for the Rough Legged Hawk but saw an NY listserv report that the continuing Mew/ Common Gull was easily seen at the Prospect Park lake.  This has been a bird both Snouty and I have tried for over the years at different sites in Brooklyn but haven't had much luck with.  Since it was a lifer for me and Snouty wanted it as a NY bird we decided to make a go at it.  We arrived at Prospect Park where we found a bunch of birders on the other side of the lake.  (lets hope Doug G is stil there or at least other birders who have it in their scope!)  After trudging through some snow and ice and going past a crazy dude relieving himself on a tree we made it to the group of birders.  We didn't want to be rude and "demand" to know where the Mew Gull was but seemed like they were seeing it.  Before I could get on it, the whole flock flew up into the air (I was thinking I'll never see this $*$*%#* bird)  but luckily the Mew Gull landed back on the ice in a better spot!  I thought I had it in my scope from what others were saying but I asked Doug G to assist who confirmed I was looking at the right bird.  (thanks Doug)  btw, he has been helping a lot of other birders find this mew gull.  I got decent looks at it before we called it a day.  Was not impressed with the bird itself, but happy that it was a European type and it's my second lifer for the year, already tying out with my 2 lifers for 2020.  I'll take that for now!

Spotted Towhee

Spotted Towhee

Mew Gull in it's usual pose

Mew Gull showing beak

Mew Gull showing beak


No comments:

Post a Comment