Friday, April 15, 2022

Ketcham's Creek: Mottled Duck, yes

 There was a reported Mottled Duck earlier in the week at Ketcham's Creek, Amityville recently that was with a female Mallard.  After several attempts the weekend earlier etc I finally lucked out and saw it early Friday.  I had noticed some American Black Ducks/ Mallards that I thought had potential to be the Mottled Duck but when another birder put me on the target bird, it was obvious.  (it had just flown in)  It's not known where the Mottled Duck and the female Mallard go when they're not at the creek.  As of Easter weekend, the female Mallard was not seen but the Mottled was, so hopefully nothing bad happened to her***.  This is a lifer for me.

*** update, from late Monday, the female Mallard was reported with the Mottled Duck in the afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment