Monday, February 20, 2023

Orlando, Florida: Limpkins

 Went to Disney with my family - we didn't have a rental car so all the birding I did was at the hotel, riding around in the hotel shuttle bus/ ubers, Disney and Epcot.  Unfortunately, we all got sick from the trip  : (    I was a bit disappointed since there were ebird reports of Vermillion Flycatchers and Whooping Cranes really close by.  My consolation prize was seeing 2 lifer Limpkins at Disney.  If one wasn't calling, I probably would have missed them.  I also got to see an Anhingha up close by the hotel. Also got to see Wood Storks fly overhead at the hotel.  List of birds I saw on the trip: Wood Storks, Palm Warblers (lots of them), Grackles (everywhere), Yellow Rumped Warblers, Yellow Throated Warbler!, Black/ Turkey Vultures, Crows, Comorants, Catbirds, Ring Billed Gulls, Sapsucker, White Ibis, Red Shouldered Hawk, Osprey, Mottled Duck?, Paula, Titmouse, Limpkins, Wood Ducks, Anhinghas, White Eyed Vireo, Tri Colored Heron, Purple Martins.  I didn't get a great look but think I saw a Sandhill Crane by the airport and a hawk that I still can't identify.  I was wondering if it was a dark morph Short Tailed Hawk or a Great Black Hawk.  It appeared all black and had white flanks on it's tail.  It was in the air and I was in an uber and didn't get great looks at it.  Unfortunately, won't know for sure.

































 

No comments:

Post a Comment