Friday, April 19, 2024

Massapequa Preserve today

 I stopped by the preserve briefly a few times today - started by the Pittsburgh Ave entrance - still decent amount of White Throated Sparrows around - I like looking at and trying to photograph the ones with a bright white streak with the yellow patch thing by their eye.  There were also about 6-8 Gadwall on the pond also.  Heard some goldfinches, a somewhat distant Raven and a Carolina Wren.  Best find over here was my FOS Gnatcatcher.  I also was alerted to a Cooper's Hawk thanks to some Blue Jays sounding off their alarm calls.  The Cooper Hawk did some posing so I was able to get a few decent photos.

I stopped by the "owl spot" by the LIRR parking lot/ Brady Park pond area - of course there was a continuing army of photographers camped out.  I could see one of the 2 baby owls there - kinda feel like the mom owl is getting annoyed at the never-stopping group of photographers.  I got a couple quick photos and moved on quickly to the pond.  I saw a Great Egret in the trees by the shoreline and was treated to 10 ! Osprey above the lake - saw one catch a fish.  Shortly after the gulls and Osprey scattered as a Bald Eagle came through.

No comments:

Post a Comment