Thursday, June 6, 2024

"The Flamingo"

 There were reports of a flamingo out by Georgica Pond, East Hampton, around Captree Island, then at Cape Cod? and then again today at Cedar Beach Marina - assuming it is the same bird for now.  It was reported today..initial chasers didn't see it but someone from out of the area saw it in the distance with a scope towards Robert Moses Bridge.  After work I raced over there where other birders were viewing it from the platform that goes out into the marsh.  I couldn't see it with my meager spare bins I keep in the car so another birder Pat Lindsay let me use her scope.  I tried many times to see it despite her obvious/ clear viewing instructions (I still feel bad for taking her time and effort up).  Finally I saw "it" very far in the distance.  not the best or even good looks at all but enough to say "I saw it".  I believe I saw a flamingo once flying over when I was in Arub but couldn't confirm it enough to personally consider it a "lifer".  I do count me seeing the flamingo today enough that I would count it as a lifer.  I couldn't make out the shape well but the colors popped enough in the twilight hours that I know I was "seeing" the bird.  Other birders were posting negative sightings on the whatsapp group I'm on - I had a feeling they should check out the vantage points from the end of the dock that sticks into marsh....looking back I should have  - I just assumed everyone else would have searched the same way I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment