Friday, December 20, 2013

Heckscher Park, Huntington

Took a quick look at Hecksher Pond while driving on Rte 25 and saw a flock of seagulls on the pond so I figured might be worth to take a look for a few minutes.  The seagulls consisted of Black Backed, Herring and Ring Billed.  I saw a group of drake hooded merganser scuffling with one another and a ring necked duck nearby.  Neither seemed to mind me being there so I was able to get some good close ups including three "ducks in a row".
I was coming back from Centerport where I noticed only one drake Canvasback with some Buffleheads on Centerport Pond.  There was a lot of activity on Mill Pond - I now realize that's where a larger group of Canvasbacks were reported by another bird watcher - will def check it out next time.

Hooded Mergansers "ducks in a row"

Hooded Merganser

Ring Necked Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment