Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Shinnecock Inlet, Southampton

My target birds for here was the recently seen King Eiders - there was a group of Common Eiders, but I could not differentiate any as a King Eider.  As a consolation, a lifer Glaucous Gull was only a few feet in front of me.  Lots of Gulls and all 3 Scoters were present - most were Surf.  I drove around to the east side of the inlet to try my luck there but could not locate any King Eiders there eider.(bad joke)  My consolation on that side of the inlet was my second lifer Snowy Owl.  I circled around it to get the ocean as a backdrop. 

Common Eiders and Scoters

Glaucous Gull

Black Backed, Herring and Ring Billed Gulls

Snowy Owl

Seal, guessing Harbor Seal
I got an eery feeling I was being watched - I looked in the inlet and sure enough 4 seals were looking at me.  I guess they knew it was rare for me to be in the Hamptons during the winter : ) not to mention when an impending snow storm on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment