Monday, November 24, 2014

Jones Beach West End, Jones Beach Coast Guard Area

So I got a scope...a very cheap one so I figured take a chance...I was pleasantly surprised - I think the zoom is 20-60x and 60mm.  It worked a lot better than my "old" Bushnells (that's another story) and the experience was very pleasant.  I wouldn't carry the scope and tripod looking for songbirds, but perfect for looking at shorebirds.  I was out recently where I missed some Red Knots among Black Bellied Plover and the person who spotted them had a scope - definitely a great tool to have.

Around the marina I saw some Red Breasted Mergansers.  On the sandbar towards the bridges heading to Point Lookout I could make out a lot of Comorants and a small amount of Oystercatchers.  (did not locate the Marblled Godwit).  By the West End 2 lot I saw 2 Northern Harriers - one was right in front of me - tried to get a photo but my camera "acted up."  Always next time I guess.

Northern Harrier

No comments:

Post a Comment