Monday, August 1, 2016

Richard DeKorte Preserve, NJ, Jones Beach West End: Least Bittern

When I moved to Massapequa in 2012 I was just beginning to become aware of listserves and ABA where other birders posted their sightings.  I didn't know it at the time but there were breeding Least Bitterns at the preserve 2 blocks from my house so since that time Least Bitterns have been sort of a nemesis bird for me.  I found out that Richard DeKorte Preserve in NJ is a breeding them area so I took a chance and looked for them there.  Although I didn't get long looks at them, I did see four.  Also seen was a distant Ruff (most likely based on color and was reported same time I was there.

Later a search at the ponds at Jones Beach West End turned up the usual shorebirds and the continuing Pectoral Sandpiper.

No comments:

Post a Comment