Saturday, July 1, 2017

Cupsogue County Park: Sandwich Tern

...perhaps I'm desperate to add to my lifer list but I had an opportunity to get out for a while so I took advantage of it...I had the choice of going to Prospect Park to see a nesting Acadian Flycatcher vs. a previous days report of a Sandwich Tern hanging around Cupsogue for a couple of days.  I really don't enjoy the drive/ trip to Prospect Park so I opted to go to Cupsogue thinking I might even see a black Black Tern.  My choice was enlightened with another birder's report that the Sandwich Tern was seen again that day...great.  I arrived with Snouty trying to find the tern in it's previously reported spot with no luck.  We saw some others birders on the sandbar/ island and determined it was Arie who Snouty called.  He had the tern in view but we could not see it from our vantage point.  A wonderful gentleman with a boat named Matt came over and picked us up and took us to the sandbar where I was able to view the tern with other birder's scopes and my own bins.  I didn't get a photo but got a good but distant view of the tern.  Special thanks to Matt.  I often miss out finding reported birds but this was one occasion where it seems the stars were aligned in my favor and I was just meant to see this bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment