Sunday, October 28, 2018

Fall Migration

I haven't posted in a while so I'll summarize some of the highlights.  I tried chasing a couple of potential lifer Philadelphia Vireos at Southard's Pond and Jones Beach but missed them.  I saw 2 Soras well at Jamaica Bay East Pond with Snouty mid September.  The fall migration seemed late but seemed to erupt about a week ago.  I saw 5 Marbled Godwits on the Jones Beach Coast Guard sandbar - there's been a group of them for several weeks.  White Crowned Sparrows seem unusually abundant this year by the beaches - vast majority are juveniles.
There was a recent report last week of a drab Evening Grosbeak at Sunken Meadow - I tried to refind it without any luck but did see lots (~30) of Purple Finches and a likely Lincoln's Sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment