Sunday, April 12, 2020

Early Spring

I know I haven't posted much lately - I haven't gone birding too much and "the virus" situation doesn't help.  I will probably only post going forward if I see a life bird or see something unusual.  Currently, Jones Beach West End is closed because it has become a Coronavirus testing area.

When I first started my blog, I would post a lot - this or that bird was first seen for the season etc.  My focus on birding has shifted to just seeing new life birds or my favorites.  Having said that it seems like some birds have arrived a little early this late winter/ early spring.

Today I sat in my yard watching my family play giant jenga when I noticed 2 smaller hawks that I assumed were Cooper's Hawks but after seeing a report of a Broadwing Hawk the other day over Connetquot it got me thinking I should grab the bins.  After about 15 minutes I saw gulls, a Red Tailed Hawk and Comorant overhead.  Yesterday I stopped by Nickerson/ Lido where I saw lots of Gannets over the ocean.  On my way to Nickerson before sunrise I saw some Ospreys and my FOS Glossy Ibis fly over the parkway.

There were swallows and warblers reported at Hempstead Lake State Park recently so I stopped there next.  I saw Rough Winged, Tree and Barn Swallows over the lake and was happy to find a good amount of Pine, Palm and nicely colored Yellow Rumped Warblers by the dog field (where the Philadelphia Vireo was seen a few years ago)  Not sure what's going on at HLSP but seems they're ripping out some of the habitat there for who knows what reason.  Very disturbing to see what it looks like now.  : (

Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
Carolina Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment