Sunday, July 25, 2021

Swallow-Tailed Kite

Worthy of it's own post, after Snouty and I saw the Spoonbill, we were driving south on South Woods Road and saw what I first assumed was "just an Osprey" flying over the road near the TOB Gold Course.  As we were driving closer to it, we realized it wasn't an Osprey but a Swallow-Tailed Kite gliding overhead.  It still doesn't seem real that we saw this bird but it's unmistakable.  We saw all the field marks (black on the fringes of the wings and of course "that tail".  The bird glided Northeast and we got the word out ASAP thinking anyone looking at the Spoonbill might have a chance to see it.

We tried parking by the Butera's restaurant but some guy in the car ahead of us was blocking us so it delayed us a few minutes getting out of the car.  By the time, we could check, we lost the bird.  Pat A. arrived on the scene shortly after and then we all tried our luck at Stillwell Woods, but it was gone.  I was a little upset that Pat A. didn't see it since it would have been a life bird for her.

I think I saw a Swallow-Tailed Kite years ago driving through the Everglades from Miami to Key West.  I do believe I saw the swallow tail but was only a quick glimpse.  It was nice to see this bird today since I got good looks at it and can safely call it a life bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment