Saturday, October 16, 2021

Caumsett State Park: Says Phoebe

 There was a continuing Says Phoebe at Caumsett St Park for 2 days so when my day off Saturday came around, I drove over before sunrise with Snouty to try to see it.  When we got out of the car we heard an owl hooting.  Another birder was on the scene, but the bird had not yet been seen.  We got worried because we 2 saw Red Tailed Hawks, a Merlin and Kestrel fighting so we were worried the bird might hide or worse.  We also saw and heard some Ravens.  After going around the general area where it was seen, another birder reported it was there at it's "usual" spot behind the restrooms on the fence posts.  I saw it briefly from a distance but the sun was shining in my direction.  I could tell it was the bird because it seemed larger than our Eastern Phoebes.  I went around for a better angle where along with other birders, we were treated to great views and the morning sun made for nice photo lighting.  We saw the bird catch some bugs and also pluck some of it's feathers.  Cool bird - it was a bird I wanted to see for a while.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment