Monday, December 6, 2021

Two Lifer Tuesday

 I took the day off from work and I'm glad I did because I wasn't feeling well today, but not bad enough to chase a few potential life birds.  I took the drive to Staten Island for a continuing Gray Kingbird.  I chased this bird a few times in the past (Hecksher, Jones Beach) but missed both times.  When I got to Great Kills Park, I walked around a lot without any luck, but luckily as I was driving around I saw a few birders by the road who had the bird in their sight.  If it wasn't for them I would have missed the Kingbird since it wasn't moving and blended in with the branches.  On the way back, I stopped at Greenwood Cemetery for a continuing Henslow's Sparrow.  I had some trouble navigating around but finally found the area where it had been seen.  I walked up a hill on a hunch where another birder alerted me that I was about to step on the bird!  I circled around a small grassy area and couldn't believe how the sparrow was so low to the ground.  I got some good looks at it and left after a little while.  There was some drama about the bird because some birders were getting too close to it and seemed to be disrespectful of the grave stones.  While some birders seemed too close, it didn't seem to bother the sparrow - he even hopped on someone that was sitting on the ground  : )




No comments:

Post a Comment