Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year!!!

 2023 was an interesting year - I saw a bunch of birds.  While I only 8 lifers, they included a few that were my nemesis birds especially Limpkin, Audobon's Yellow Rumped Warbler and most notably I finally saw a Connecticut Warbler.  I have chased Connecticut Warblers on many occasions only to not find them.  It seemed fairly easy to see the one at the World Trade Center Memorial.  This was the first year that I did a "year list".  I was surprised to find that I had only counted around 140 species the entire year.  I assumed it would be much higher - I suppose if I made more effort and chased every bird sighting that it would be much higher, but I don't enjoy chasing sightings unless it's a life bird. (and I don't have much free time)  The first bird I photographed was a Great Black Backed Gull at Jones Beach Coast Guard Station while I was trying to find the continuing Western Tanager and an immature male King Eider.  I didn't see either one of them.  But that's how birding is sometimes - win some, lose some - a bird can be out in the open for some and then the next person to try for it won't see it. (like the MacGillvray's Warbler)

I'm now up to 448 life birds.  I don't have much hope for seeing a lot of new birds for 2024 unless I travel somewhere on vacation. (thinking Italy?)  If I get at least 2 more, I'll hit 450 which sounds nice.  Who knows what the new year will bring.  I'm including a few photos for fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment