Thursday, March 14, 2024

Jones Beach Field 10/ West End

 I went by Jones Beach to try to find a couple of Snow Geese, but didn't have any luck.  I did catch a glimpse of my FOS Phoebe in the median.  I scanned the water by the Coast Guard Station for a Horned Grebe that was reported yesterday, but didn't see it - I did see a Surf Scoter which is not rare, but still a nice surprise.  Someone had apparently left some bird seed or something in the parking lot recently which attracted a bunch of sparrows, red winged blackbirds and cowbirds.  I went to the platform viewing area that overlooks the "J" Pond - I saw a couple of Killdeer on the dunes and a good amount of Gannets over the ocean - they always seem like they're over the beach from this vantage point.  

After leaving the traffic circle on Ocean Parkway and heading north on Wantagh Pkwy, I saw my FOS Osprey on an old nest by the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment