Friday, May 7, 2021

Eastport: Wood Stork

 There has been a continuing Wood Stork at Beaverdam Creek near Westhampton.  I think I saw a Wood Stork briefly years ago as I was driving through the highway that cuts through the Everglades on the way to the Keys.  Since I wasn't 100% sure I had a lifer Wood Stork, I decided to make the hour trip to see this one.  I left around 5am and on the way another birder reported the Stork.  I pulled over on Montauk Highway and got good looks at it.  The photos aren't great because it was early and cloudy but at least I can safely say without any doubt that I have seen a Wood Stork.  After about 15 minutes, the stork flew south over the creek/ marsh.  I drove further down to try to relocate it but had to leave.  Interestingly, another birder reported the stork later where I briefly tried to look.  It was probably hiding in the phrags when I tried to relocate it.  Since it was still early when I got back to Massapequa, I stopped at the preserve where I saw my FOS Chestnut Sided Warbler.  





No comments:

Post a Comment