Sunday, February 25, 2024

Hempstead Lake State Park: Painted Bunting

 There were reports of a female Painted Bunting at HLSP yesterday - I went early in the morning where I met another birder who had just seen it, but had flown into the woods.  After a while, the Painted Bunting popped up briefly, but I wasn't able to get a photo (other birder blocking me)  This Painted Bunting was my 4th on Long Island (only saw them here on LI) and was described by another birder as the dullest birder he had ever seen.  Before I saw the bunting, I went on my own to look around and found about 30? White Throated Sparrows on the grass - I heard the Bunting was associating with sparrows so I spent my time scanning around but then had some loser dog walker unleash their dog so it could chase a squirrel.  He told me his dog likes to chase the squirrels, but I just said, oh great, thats fantastic - the guy didn't pick up on my sarcasm.  I tried looking for a Red Shouldered Hawk that was seen in the area the day before but no luck.  I did see a Great Blue Heron and immature Bald Eagle fly by.  I also saw Ring Necked Ducks, Geese, Mallards, Hooded Mergansers, a bright male Cardinal and a Kingfisher that wasn't photo-cooperative.  Another birder spotted a pair of Common Mergansers fly overhead - I haven't seen those in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment