Thursday, February 8, 2024

Mill Pond/ Jones Beach Coast Guard Station

 I stopped by Mill Pond, Wantagh early today to try to find the continuing Common Gallinule.  I scanned the west side of the pond where it had been reported.  I didn't see it so as I was leaving I saw something odd walking on the island in the middle of the pond.  I put my bins on it and it was the Common Gallinule.  I had since matured a bit since I last saw it last year - the red shield was prominent.  Grew up to be a good looking bird.  There were also some Ring Necked Ducks (other ducks/ gulls/ birds also present).  Mill Pond seems to be good spot for them.  Towards the northeast corner of the pond I heard my "FOS" Red Winged Blackbirds calling - they're back and starting to set up their territories.  When I have a chance, I'll check out my local patches at Massapequa Preserve to see if they're also back by me.  I went by Jones Beach Coast Guard to try to find the Audubon Warbler etc - I didn't find it, but did see a Fox Sparrow in the hedgerow.  There were mostly lots of House Finches and "regular" type Yellow Rumped Warblers.  When I got home I heard a Cardinal calling.  Hopefully this means winter is leaving and spring will be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment