Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Massapequa Preserve and Bryant Park

I stopped at Massapequa Preserve before work this morning and although it was very “birdy” I didn’t see any new migrants.  Cardinals, Robins, Red Winged Blackbirds, Grackles were all over as well as Downy Woodpeckers  - a Carolina Wren put on a show singing for the sunrise and a pair of Red Bellied Woodpeckers put on their own kind of show.  There’s a nesting pair of Mute Swans on the smaller pond.

***I only saw the red morph Screech Owl for the last few weeks – can someone please message me if you see the grey one?  A few local birders and myself are concerned if something happened to it.  (not assuming the worst yet)

During my break, I walked over to Bryant Park with my friend and local NYC birder Mike (has a thing for Juncos in Wyandanch and Grackles) – we just saw Song and White Throated Sparrows – we talked to another birder who also noted it was slow, but mentioned he saw a Hermit Thrush and a Swamp Sparrow earlier.

Screech Owl - Massapequa Preserve

Great Egret - Massapequa Preserve

Downy Woodpecker - Massapequa Preserve

Mute Swans - nesting pair - Massapequa Preserve

Carolina Wren - Massapequa Preserve

Red Bellied Woodpecker - Massapequa Preserve

No comments:

Post a Comment