Monday, May 19, 2014

Jones Beach West End, Massapequa Preserve

Over the weekend, I briefly stopped by the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station and Massapequa Preserve.  By the Coast Guard Station I saw Common Terns, Black Bellied and Piping Plovers on the sandbar - from what I could see, I assume there were also Sanderlings, Semipalmated Sandpipers and Plovers but I couldn't get better looks from the sun glare  - it was windy and my son was with me, so I chose not to stay and investigate.  An Eastern Kingbird posed for a photo - I saw one or two? Eastern Wood-Pewees but couldn't get a good photo.

I took my daughter along to Massapequa Preserve by the Sunrise Highway lake to investigate a nest I saw recently - turned out to be an active nest for a pair of Warbling Vireos.  We also saw about 5 terns and a Baltimore Oriole.  I returned Sunday evening and saw a Great Crested Flycatcher and a Hummingbird feeding at a yellow iris.  This was the second time I recently found both species so perhaps the preserve might prove to be a reliable area to find these birds.  I heard a weird call/ song to the south of the pond - sounded like a type of game bird but could not locate anything.

Common Tern

Warbling Vireo in nest

Baltimore Oriole

Chimney Swift

Black Crowned Night Heron

Eastern Kingbird

Tree Swallow



No comments:

Post a Comment