Sunday, May 4, 2014

Massapequa Preserve, Massapequa and Jones Bech West End

Yesterday, I went for a walk with my daughter around the pond by Pittsburgh Ave - spring has finally arrived here also -saw a pair of Baltimore Orioles, pair of Eastern Kingbirds, good amount of Goldfinches and Catbirds. Most numerous migrant seemed to be Warbling Vireos. There were several Ospreys fishing - at one point a Crow and an Eastern Kingbird were taking turns chasing one away. A Mute Swan was aggressive to a pair of Canada Geese - a moment later a Red-winged Blackbird divebombed the Mute Swan.

While my daughter was at Soccer at Field of Dreams Park in Massapequa I found a yellow and black warbler I have yet to ID - was seen through a fence so couldn't view well - also found a Savannah Sparrow by the field.  After soccer, we went back to the Preserve for a few minutes and saw a Northern Parula, Black and White Warbler, a pair Common Yellowthroats and another Baltimore Oriole.

At home, a raptor swooped down on the neighbors feeders - I believe it was a Merlin.

Later on I drove through the West End with my family before sunset just for the sake of taking a leisurely drive - I just happened to bring my camera and binoculars in the car...saw a Ring Necked Pheasant cross from the median to the dunes on the west end (my daughter yelled out Roadrunnner!) a Baltimore Oriole, and 2 terns flying over a bridge - I was driving, couldn't safely get an ID.

Warbling Vireo

Eastern Kingbird

Catbird

Red Winged Blackbird
Savannah Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole
Northern Parula
Merlin
Ring Necked Pheasant

Osprey with fish






Normally I don't post multiple times during one day, but every time I was
out it was an unplanned last minute thing...I drove through the West End
with my family before sunset just for the sake of taking a leisurely drive
- I just happened to bring my camera and binoculars in the car...saw a Ring
Necked Pheasant cross from the median to the dunes on the west end (my
daughter yelled out Roadrunnner!) a Baltimore Oriole, and 2 terns flying
over a bridge - I was driving, couldn't safely get an ID.
- See more at: http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=691857&MLID=NY01&MLNM=New%20York#sthash.VntQ6Wbj.dpuf

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robert,
    Just wanted to let you know that I saw both the Red Morph AND the Gray Morph Eastern Screech Owls in the preserve tonight (Tuesday, May 6). Hadn't see the Gray in quite a while. Happy to see them both, but they were each in their separate spots.

    ReplyDelete