Monday, October 20, 2014

Jones Beach West End, Mill Pond, Meroke Preserve

I spent most of the day at Jones Beach West End - in hindsight, it seemed to be Part 2 of 3 of the migration fallout.  Lots of Kinglets and Sparrows - seemed to be more Ruby Crowned than Golden Crowned this time.  Sparrows were on the side of the road everywhere as well as Juncos and Hermit Thrushes- got a great shot of a Lincoln's, a Field and some juvenile White Crowned Sparrows.  I spent a good time going around the "shrub area" in front of the Coast Guard entrance.  Got my lifer Pine Siskins early in the day - a few small flocks flew overhead - a few touched down briefly.  Another treat was seeing 2 Eastern Meadowlarks.  A Merlin flew in and tried to get some sparrows - it got one but dropped it - I assume the sparrow flew off.

I took a break from the west end and stopped at Meroke Preserve - I was pleasantly surprised  - saw a few Ruby Crowned Kinglets, Hermit Thrushes and what I can best determine to me my first Purple Finch. 

I returned to the west end where I got good looks at 2 Marbled Godwits on the Coast Guard sandbar.  I believe these are the same individuals that have been around moving with a flock of ~250 Oystercatchers.  Also saw a group of Royal Terns, Dunlin, Black Bellied Plovers, and Sanderlings. (and the Brants are back)

Golden Crowned Kinglet
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
Lincoln's Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White Crowned Sparrow
Sparrow sp.
Field Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Palm Warbler - Eastern yellow
Eastern Meadowlark
Pine Siskins
Merlin - after diving over a group of sparrows - got one but dropped it
Marbled Godwit
Marbled Godwit - usual pose, with Oystercatchers
Oystercatchers with 2 Marbled Godwits on either side of the photo
Royal Terns with Black Bellied Plover and possible Dunlin
Royal Terns (14)
Shorebirds still present: Oystercatchers, Black Bellied Plovers, Dunlin, Sanderlings
Brants are back
Northern Pintail - Mill Pond
Bufflehead - Mill Pond
Purple Finch - Meroke Preserve

No comments:

Post a Comment