Tuesday, September 1, 2015

EPCAL/ Calverton, South Shore: Blue Grosbeak, Grasshopper Sparrow

I thought it was a good idea to try birding in a new environment - namely the "prairies" at EPCAL/ Calverton.  It was nice to be in an open area,,,,on the east end of the property, I saw hundreds of Tree Swallows.  In the main area south of Rte 25 I saw lots of Chipping Sparrows, Horned Lark, a Red Tailed Hawk and Northern Harrier.  Some of the better action was actually in the area north of Rte 25 at a section of eye level high shrubs - saw Baltimore Orioles and a lifer Blue Grosbeak.  On the way out I noticed a sparrow on top of a shrub - got a good look and was another lifer, a Grasshopper Sparrow.

I stopped at a nearby preserve that trails through the Pine Barrens - another new environment for me - highlight was an Ovenbird.  I was checking out the sod farms along the way - in a field being plowed I saw gulls and Killdeer and a Turkey Vulture overhead.

At Sans Souci Preserve, Sayville, I found a few warblers including a juvenile Blackburnian.  Stops along the Peconic, Sunken Meadow and Makamah Preserve were unproductive so I stopped again by Jones Beach West End to see the Buff Breasted Sandpipers - only saw one this time.

Tree Swallows
Red Tailed Hawk
Blue Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole female
Grasshopper Sparrow
Gulls, Killdeer
American Redstart
Blackburnian Warbler  - juvenile
Fish Crows
Common Yellowthroat
Buff Breasted Sandpiper
Black Bellied Plover
Northern Waterthrush

No comments:

Post a Comment