Monday, November 9, 2015

Jones Beach/ Point Lookout, Cold Spring Harbor/ Lloyd Harbor

Started the day at Massapequa Preserve where I found the Wood Duck in the stream by Clark Street - a quick check at the Pittsburgh Avenue pond produced a FOS Bufflehead.

At Jones Beach Field 10 I found a few Boat Tailed Grackles - my target bird for this location.  At Jones Beach West End by the Coast Guard Station I saw Oystercatchers, Dunlin, Black Bellied Plover, Sanderling, Comorants, Brant, and 2 Black Scoters - I heard I just missed some Red Knots which was my target bird at this location.  The highlight was 2 Yellowlegs along Short Beach.  I tried to search for songbirds by the hedgerow but the mosquitoes were out in full force.

At Point Lookout the only highlight was a Common Loon and a seal.

I head to the North Shore where I stopped at St John's Pond, Cold Spring Harbor - found American Wigeons, Gadwall and Canada Geese on the lake.  Overhead was an Osprey, a few Red Tailed Hawks and a quick glimpse of a Turkey Vulture.

The best part of the day was at Uplands Farm Sanctuary where I saw at least 3 Eastern Bluebirds and a female Northern Harrier doing what Harriers do but also perching a few times posing for photos.  I still have no idea why my camera wasn't focusing on her but I won't get into that.  It was a treat to get great looks at a great bird.

Lloyd Neck Beach Club and Caumsett State Park was unproductive except for a large group of Buffleheads in the "marsh" by the entrance to Caumsett.

Wood Duck
Boat Tailed Grackle
Double Crested Comorant
Northern Harrier
Northern Harrier
Northern Harrier
Eastern Bluebird

No comments:

Post a Comment