Thursday, February 18, 2016

Massapequa Preserve, Jones Beach West End, Camaan's Pond, Blydenburgh

I made my first trip of the year to Massapequa Preserve - usually I try to go right at the beginning of the year but I've been somewhat avoiding the preserve because the last few times I've gone there's been dogs running around without leashes and unapologetic owners.

Anyway, I stopped by to check up on the grey Screech Owl who I was happy to find in a certain tree by the ball fields.  I also saw my FOY definite Red Wing Blackbird.

I headed over to Jones Beach West End hoping to show my NYC birder friend the continuing Lark Sparrow so he could get a great easy lifer.  The winds were really dreadful so the Lark Sparrow must've been hiding.  His consolation lifers were Tree Sparrows, Fish Crows and a nice flock of Snow Buntings.  We then stopped by Camaan's Pond in Merrick where we saw domestic Mallards, Northern Shovelers, and Black Crowned Night Heron.  A desperate attempt to make up for missing the Lark Sparrow at Blydenburgh was unrewarding to say the least.  Was a decent day despite missing our main target bird however, a very experienced birder I know once told me "Robert...birds have wings, sometimes they will fly."

Eastern Screech Owl
Redwing Blackbird
Fish Crows
Black Crowned Night Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment