Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Sands Point: Barrow's Goldeneye

I started the day driving out to Pelham Bay Park and arriving before dawn to find a reported Barred Owl - despite a good search in the pines where it was seen, I was unable to locate it - I did find a Great Horned Owl (and a few raccoons).  Other birds at Rodmans Neck included Scaup, Tufted Titmice, Grackles and I heard a Redwing Blackbird.

I headed over to Bayville where I checked the north part of Oyster Bay, some spots on Long Island Sound and Mill Neck Creek.  I looked for rare gulls but didn't see any.  I left earlier then I originally planned to look for the continuing Barrow's Goldeneye.  Low tide was at 2pm but I got there around 11:30.  I started my search around Hoffstot Lane where I found some Common Goldeneye around some rocks. I parked at Sands Point Preserve and made the trek west towards Hoffstot Lane- I scanned through the Common's with my scope and wham! finally found the Barrow's!

I went to Venetian Shores to locate the "Lake Capri" Tufted Duck  - I didn't find it, but there were hundreds of Scaup, many Ruddy Ducks, Brant and Buffleheads.  I found an odd looking Ring Billed Gull at the marina - appeared to have yellowish buff around the eyes.

I stopped at Argyle Park in Amityville - mostly Black Ducks, Ring Billed Gulls and a neat looking domestic Mallard.

I concluded the day at Cedar Beach where I found a Great Backed Gull feeding on a Red Breasted Merganser in the water - he gull later dragged the duck onto the ice where another gull joined it.  I got the impression they were a pair.

Great Horned Owl
Great Black Backed Gull
Barrow's Goldeneye
Red Throated Loon
Ring Billed Gull - not obvious from the photo but had a yellowish buff around the eyes
Hooded Merganser
American Black Ducks
domestic Mallard?
Great Black Backed Gull with Red Breasted Merganser for dinner
Great Black Backed Gulls with Red Breasted Merganser for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment