Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Adirondacks Part 2: Black Backed Woodpeckers, Least Flycatcher

So I went back to the Adirondacks for my nemesis bird, the Gray Jay.  I've been told by many birders that it shouldn't be any trouble finding them -well, long story short, I struck out again.  I was by Sabattis Bog and Bloomingdale Bog where they've been seen but apparently not at the right spot.  So I guess I'll just have to make another trip up there one day - would also be nice to see Boreal Chickadees.  I did see some nice consolation birds so I didn't leave unsatisfied.  Saw lifer Black Backed Woodpeckers and a Least Flycatcher.  Other nice birds were a bunch of Blackburnian Warblers in one tree, a Cuckoo sp, Spruce Grouse, Purple Finch, Chestnut Sided Warblers, Northern Harrier, and a group of rowdy Ravens.

Purple Fiinch female
bad shot of a Least Flycatcher
Ruffed Grouse
Black Backed Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment