Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Fall "Migration", Avalon Preserve: Bobwhite

I was at many locations this day and it was unusually quiet.  (Jones Beach WE, Avalon Preserve, Chandler Estate, Sunken Meadow State Park)  There should be more songbirds coming through this time of year - there were a few around but I had to work hard for them.  Highlights were a Common Eider, 2 Palm Warblers, Prairie Warbler, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers from Jones Beach West End.  The best find for the day was at Avalon Preserve where I saw my lifer Bobwhites!  I saw 4 juveniles and heard an adult calling from the middle of a grassy field.  Presumably, these juveniles are the babies born at the preserve from re-introduced adults.  At Chandler Estate, Mt Sinai I heard a Great Horned Owl hooting, however it was 2:30pm.

Common Eider
Bobwhite
Bobwhite

No comments:

Post a Comment