Friday, September 30, 2016

Hempstead Lake State Park, Frank Melville Park, Avalon Preserve: Tennessee Warbler

What seemed a slow day beginning at HLSP quickly turned into a great day.  At first the only notable bird I saw was an Ovenbird, but then I walked down to the dried up pond - I noticed my FOS White Throated Sparrows and a Rusty Blackbird.  A closer look around the pond and I started seeing a loose flock of warblers.  Walking in and around the pond I saw Northern Waterthrush, lots of Northern Parulas, a few Black Throated Blue Warblers, Yellow Rumped Wabler, Palm Warblers, a Black Throated Green and one or 2 lifer Tennessee Warblers!

A walked in Frank Melville Park produced a gorgeous looking Eurasian Wigeon hybrid, Gadwall, American Wigeon, a Green Heron, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron and several Snowy Egrets.  I headed over to Avalon Preserve to try my luck finding Bobwhites - after a while I found a bunch but they got spooked into the weeds - with a little patience I waited and they came back out - a group of 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment