Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Fort Tilden, Floyd Bennett Field, Valley Stream, Camaan's Pond

I went with Snouty to Queens to try to find Saw Whet Owls...after several hours and checking LOTS of pine trees, we came up empty.  On the way back we stopped at Arthur Hendrickson in Valley Stream to look for some continuing reported birds: the Pink Footed Goose, Cackling Goose and Red Headed Woodpecker.  Although I've seen this particular Pink Footed Goose a couple of times, these were the second birds I've seen of their species.  The Cackling Goose was hard to spot but Snouty got it.  It was interesting for me to see this Red Headed Woodpecker because the only time I saw one it was a mature one at Muttontown Preserve.  We also stopped at Camaan's Pond to look for the Black Headed Gull but we didn't see it.  I did see an interesting looking juvenile Ring Billed Gull and juvenile Yellow Crowned Night Heron.

Red Headed Woodpecker
Pink Footed Gull
Cackling Goose with Canadas
Cackling Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment