Friday, December 13, 2019

Heckscher State Park: Northern Shrike

I started the day birding with Snouty and we saw a couple cool things: the continuing Common Gallinule at Mill Pond, a Black Bellied Plover at Point Lookout parking lot with a beige tinge on the bottom, a weird hybrid type Mallard at Nickerson and I spotted a glimpse of a Lapland Longspur there also among a flock of Horned Larks.  I picked up my son from early dismissal when Ken Feustel reported a Northern Shrike at Heckscher.  I gave my son lots of snacks for the car ride, promised him McDonald's and picked up Snouty.  When we got there, no one knew where the Shrike was but then it flew over my car and into the marsh.  It was later seen in the trees far behind the marsh but another birder had a scope so I got a good look at it.  I used my 200x zoom Canon to get some documentary type shots.  Glad to get this lifer since I missed it the last 2 times I tried for it on Long Island.

Common Gallinule
Mallard - domestic/ hybrid
Northern Shrike
Northern Shrike

No comments:

Post a Comment