Sunday, December 29, 2019

MASSAPEQUA: Townsend's Warbler

(Massapequa in caps because I live there)  So, I saw a Townsend's Warbler was ebirded and then emailed to the Listserv at night on the 28th - it was part of the Christmas bird count, but not sure why it wasn't reported on time so others could see it - I won't get into that here.

So, early next morning before sunrise, I met Mike Zito to look for the bird at Phillip Healey Park in Massapequa.  The warbler had been reported to be in the 3 pine trees by the entrance.  After a little while a bird that looked "different" flew by and into the pines - it was the Townsend's Warbler.  The last time I knew one was on Long Island was also in Massapequa (preserve) back in April 2002.

Nice to have a rarity in my hometown - several days later, a Black Headed Gull was reported at the same park.  I had a feeling it was a good spot for gulls.


No comments:

Post a Comment