Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Connetquot State Park, Oakdale

I was recently a Connetquot State Park  - my target birds were the 2 recently reported Red Necked Grebes.  I didn't find them but I couldn't stay long either to do a decent search.  It seems I've been having bad luck with target birds recently- but I did eventually get good pics and looks at Redheads and the female King Eider.  Not sure why I seem to have bad luck with target birds since I was lucky to find the feeding Red Tailed Hawk and Screech Owl at Massapequa Preserve and seem to have a habit of finding "off season" birds in our area. Perhaps I do best when I don't have anything specific that I'm looking for.

Anyway, the main lake at Connetquot had an impressive number of waterfowl: Gadwall, Hooded Mergansers, Ring Necked Duck, and American Wigeons.  I was surprised to see so many drake Common Mergansers and was about to get a photo of one when I saw an adult drake Eurasian Wigeon that reminded me of the 3 impressive ones I saw last winter at Massapequa Preserve.  Didn't get a great pic but had to try for nostalgia's sake.

Eurasian Wigeon and Gadwall

No comments:

Post a Comment