Monday, February 10, 2014

Jones Beach, Point Lookout, Sands Point, Lake Capri, Gilgo Beach, Massapequa Preserve

I started out at Jones Beach West End - I saw about 10 Horned Larks on the road.  At the Coast Guard Station notable birds were Long Tailed Ducks, Common and Red Throated Loons, Horned Grebe and a female Common Goldeneye. I came back in the afternoon and also found about 10 Sanderlings on the spit and 2 Great Comorants by the commercial fishing lot. I searched in vain for the Northern Shrike.

Drove up to Sands Point to look for the reported Barrow's Goldeneye and Red Necked Grebe - total waste of time.  Lake Capri in West Islip had 3 drake and 2 female Redheads (North side)  I tried looking for the Gyrfalcon by Gilgo Beach, but no luck - I did find a Pergerine Falcon on a perch and a Harrier.  I saw a Yellow Rumped Warbler off Ocean Parkway.  There wasn't not much going on at Point Lookout besides gulls on the jetty because of the dredging - there was one seal in the inlet.

I figured I'd try my luck back home at the Massapequa Preserve since I haven't been there in a while - was by far the best spot of the day - highlights were an odd Muscovy/ Mallard? Hybrid by the bike bridge at Brady Park, a Red Tailed Hawk - just caught a Green Winged Teal for dinner- sadly, it was not a quick death for the teal.  Carolina Wrens, Song Sparrows and Robins were all around, also saw a Kingfisher and Catbird.  At dusk, saw a mouse hopping on the trail 10 feet in front of me, then all of a sudden, an Eastern Screech Owl swooped in and took it up to a tree.  The Hybrid and Eurasian Wigeon were all the way up by Linden Street.  Also saw a fox in the nearby tall marsh grass. 

Eastern Screech Owl - Massapequa Preserve
Eurasian Wigeon and American Wigeon - Massapequa Preserve
Robins - Massapequa Preserve
Mallards - Massapequa Preserve
American Wigeon - Massapequa Preserve
Coot - Massapequa Preserve
Muscovy/ hybrid? - Massapequa Preserve
Red Tailed Hawk at the "attack site" - Massapequa Preserve
Red Tailed Hawk with Green Winged Teal
Red Tailed Hawk with Green Winged Teal
(later/ more graphic images are not included)

Pergerine Falcon - Gilgo Beach
Redheads - Lake Capri, West Islip

No comments:

Post a Comment