Monday, December 1, 2014

Floyd Bennett Field, Hempstead Lake, Jones Beach West End

Long story short, I had the day off with my son so decided it would be a wise choice to take a ride to Floyd Bennett Field and try for the continuing Cassin's Kingbird and Le Conte's Sparrow.  Entering the "field" I observed a pheasant flying by.  We tried for the sparrow first which was seen earlier in the day by the water, but because it was too breezy I didn't want to stay there with my son.  We headed over to the north side of the community gardens where I got a quick glimpse of the Cassin's Kingbird flying away into some trees and out of view.  I was thinking I hardly saw it and was disappointed until a few minutes later when it re-appeared and put on a good show - really beautiful bird.  A few other birds were seen including a large flock of blackbirds - most were Starlings and some Brown Headed Cowbirds.

We drove back home and passing Hempstead Lake State Park on the Southern State, I thought I saw a Bald Eagle perched in the park, but it turned out to be a Peregrine Falcon.

At the Jones Beach Coast Guard sandbar I saw the continuing Marbled Godwit actively searching for food (usually rests with it's beak tucked in).  At the West End 2 lot, Snow Buntings touched down a few times and a Northern Harrier was seen patrolling the dunes to the west of the lot.

Cassin's Kingbird

another view of the Cassin's Kingbird
"blackbird" flock

Peregrine Falcon - Hempstead Lake
the continuing Marbled Godwit with Brants
Snow Buntings

No comments:

Post a Comment