Saturday, September 4, 2021

Philadelphia Vireo, Massapequa Preserve

 I woke up early with some plans of going to Robert Moses Field 2 for a long awaited sea-watch but couldn't get out in time to guarantee I didn't have to pay the admission fee.  Since it was a nice day, I decided to try Massapequa Preserve right by my house.  When I got there around 7am, it was very dead which is what I tend to expect there.  All I saw was a few Catbirds and a House Wren.  But once the sun warmed things up a bit, I was treated to a bunch of Redstarts (mostly female), Red Eye Vireos and Parulas.  I got a good luck at one vireo that looked "different".  It was noticeably yellow on the belly and throat and turned out to be my lifer/ no longer nemesis bird, a Philly Vireo.  I couldn't get any photos but didn't try my hardest because I wanted to get some good looks at it.  I also saw a Parula eat a small caterpillar.  It stayed still long enough for me to get a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment