Friday, September 3, 2021

Yellow Bellied Flycatcher, Lido Beach

 I got up early before work to go with Snouty to try to find a recently reported female Yellow Headed Blackbird.  The last report was from last Wednesday but for reasons I won't mention here, I was very doubtful that it was a legit sighting.  We tried looking around for the blackbird flock it was flying around with, but they were not around.  We did see lots of Semi-palmated Plovers on the grassy fields by the parking lots.  We tried Lido Preserve where we saw a few orioles and an unidentified flycatcher.  At Point Lookout we found a Yellow Billed Cuckoo.  

On a whim, we went into the neighborhood area, at the corner of Neptune and Anchor Roads.  I saw a small bird fly from the telephone wires into a big maple tree that caught my attention.  We both got good looks at it and it was a Yellow Bellied Flycatcher.  It was later joined by 2 Yellow Warblers and at least one Least Flycatcher.  I think I have seen a Yellow Bellied Flycatcher before once at HLSP, but didn't get satisfying looks.  At least I can say for 100% certainty that I finally have a legit lifer Yellow Bellied Flycatcher.  The bird I saw was very yelllow and had all the right field marks.

I should mention that I was up at 4am and heard some birds migrating overhead so I was hoping some new birds would turn up.


No comments:

Post a Comment