Tuesday, December 19, 2023

North Shore Long Island: Nassau/ Suffolk: Iceland Gull (Bayville)

 On my vacation day, I tried looking for anything on the north shore.  I went to St John's Pond CSH, which was very "birdy".  Also went to Uplands Farm, Oyster Bay (Theodore Roosevelt Park, Mill Pond, Mill Neck Creek).  I looked for a continuing Pink Footed Goose that had originally been seen at Planting Fields that was around the properties by Horseshoe Road? by Shu Swamp - saw just Canada Geese.  I went to Bayville Stehli Beach - saw random gulls and a Bald Eagle far out hunting over the sound.  On a whim, I decided to check nearby Ransom Beach because years ago, a strange unidentified/ hybrid gull had been seen there.  My instincts paid off and I found a second year Iceland Gull right over the railing by the parking lot.  It was nice to find and report a bird on my own, rather than mooch off other birders' reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment