Saturday, January 20, 2024

Jones Beach Field 10, Coast Guard Station

 There were reports today of continuing Pipits at the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station lawn.  I haven't seen Pipits in a while so figured I should try for them.  They're cool little birds.  I stopped by Field 10 to do the "usual" Marbled Godwit search and sure enough I finally saw them (damn it).  They were very unsatisfying looks since they were so far away but they were next to Oystercatchers so I had good comparison for size and not much else this time of year would have such a tawny coloring.  From the photos I took with my Canon Powershot with up to 200x zoom, I think there was at least 6 of them.  I checked the lot for gulls and they jumped on my car and gathered around as soon as I opened the window.  (it was below freezing and I'm getting over a cold so I stayed in my car)  I saw one was banded and assumed it to be a juvenile Herring Gull.  I reported the bands and posted on the "North American Gulls" FB page.  Will be cool to find out more info on this bird - it was really cute and had some rizz.  I think I might have only reported bands once or twice before - will try that more often.  

At the Coast Guard Station I first found one confiding Pipit right away and then 3 others.  I tried looking for the continuing Western Tanager and Audubon's Warbler with no luck.  (the Audubon's Warbler was ebirded earlier in the day)  I saw a Ruby Crowned Kinglet at the bushes that the warbler frequents.  Around the area I saw several Harriers around.  Not a bad birding experience for such a short amount of time. (hour round trip)






No comments:

Post a Comment