Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Massapequa Preserve and Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge

I was at the Massapequa Preserve for about an hour Sunday and saw the continuing grey morph Screech Owl but the red morph must’ve been tucked away.  After today, I’m no longer going to report the Screech Owls – they’ve been at the Preserve for 2 years (released from a rehab) and have made it their home.  There was a group of American Wigeons that frequent the game fields - I've seen them a few times drinking from the puddle in the nearby "lot".  I didn’t see the Wilson’s Snipe, but it’s a hit or miss thing.

I also stopped at Wertheim’s National Refuge in Shirley but didn’t see anything unusual: Red Tailed Hawk, Green Winged Teal and Hooded Mergansers were most notable.

American Wigeon

Eastern Screech Owl - grey morph

No comments:

Post a Comment