Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jones Beach West End

I visited the Jones Beach Coast Station this morning before sunrise to check on the shorebird numbers and diversity - numbers are down considerably from Saturday so either many of the shorebirds have moved on their migration or just weren't at the sandbar yet this morning.  I saw Semi-palmated Sandpipers and Plovers, Sanderlings, Spotted Sandpiper, Terns, Comorants, Gulls, Great Blue Heron, Great Egrets as well as Red-Winged Blackbirds flying in decent numbers.
I headed over to the West End II lot to make a modest attempt to find the recently reported Baird's Sandpiper but the area is roped off as restricted so I respected the boundaries and didn't cross it.  There were Tree Swallows in the lot and at the Teddy Roosevelt path I saw Horned Larks and a young Mockingbird was charging at me so it was my cue to leave.

Great Blue Heron, Great Egret

No comments:

Post a Comment