Friday, August 1, 2014

Jones Beach Coast Guard Marina

I went out around 6:00 AM this morning making Green Island my first stop - not much going on there except some Killdeer and a Black Crowned Night Heron.  I headed over to the Coast Guard area at the West End where I saw the 2 continuing Common Loons and 3 of the 4 Black Scoters I previously reported.  Around the sandbar were a Black Skimmer, Great Blue Heron, Great Egrets and a group of 10 Snowy Egrets (around 7 were flying together at one point).  Other shorebirds included 3 Spotted Sandpipers, Semi Palmated Sandpipers and Plovers and 1 Piping Plover.

While I was scanning the shoreline I noticed an unusual shorebird on the east side of the sandbar near the tall grass/ reeds.  My initial guess of juvenile Clapper Rail was confirmed.  Fighting the biting flies, I saw at least 3 juveniles (hard to determine exact number since they were coming in and out of the grass) and one adult.  I've seen a Clapper Rail one other time, but this was the first time I was able to observe them for a decent amount of time and get a photo.

Clapper Rail
Clapper Rail

No comments:

Post a Comment