Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Jones Beach Coast Guard Marina

I arrived at the marina area around sunrise today - the most notable sighting were a large (easily 100+) gathering of Oystercatchers.  Other birds seen were: Black Bellied Plovers, 3 Short Billed Dowitchers, ~7 Willets (I believe some if not all were Western), 2 immature Night Herons (could not determine type), 2 continuing Common Loons, Common Tern, Spotted Sandpiper (also Pigeons and House Sparrows.)  Would have been pleasant without the small annoying angry flies and mosquitoes.

I returned in the evening and to my dismay I found the sandbar occupied by boaters who docked near the sandbar breaking almost every NY State Park rule,  (hard to resist but I'll keep my other comments to myself)  A continuing male and female Black Scoter were by the Coast Guard dock.  I headed over to my "new spot" on Jones Inlet but that was occupied by fishermen.  Common Terns were in the inlet and I saw a few Semi-Palmated Sandpipers and Gulls on the shore.  In the distance I saw some sandpipers and Black Bellied Plovers further down the inlet.  I checked out the ponds in the West End dunes but only found one Mallard since there wasn't any shoreline near the reeds.

I went back to the Coast Guard area where within 5 minutes of the disruptive sand bar occupiers departing, a large group of Oystercatchers flew back onto the sandbar.  More shorebirds were seen including Black Skimmers, Great Egret, Night Heron juveniles, 2 Semi-Palmated Plovers and a lone Dunlin.

Dunlin
Semi Palmated Sandpiper
Semi Palmated Sandpiper
Semi Palmated Sandpiper
Shorebird mix

Black Back Gull

Black Back Gull
Ring Billed Gull

Ring Billed Gull
Laughing Gull?

No comments:

Post a Comment